TRAVELING TO TORONTO? Stop by Art Gallery Ontario (AGO) in Toronto, Canada, where a pair of solo exhibitions featuring British artist Hurvin Anderson and Chicago artist Theaster Gates are on view this summer. Both are also exhibiting in Europe. There is a Gates exhibition in Milan, Italy, and “Hurvin Anderson: Dub Versions” is at the New Art Exchange in Nottingham.
While in the UK, London has a number of must see shows, including “Making & Unmaking,” curated by fashion designer Duro Olowu at the Camden Art Centre; “Miss Black and Beautiful,” Autograph ABP’s tribute to photographer Raphael Albert at Rivington Place; and “Soul of a Nation: Art in the Age of Black Power” at the Tate Modern.
Elsewhere, for “The Addis Show” at Addis Ababa University, U.S.-based Julie Mehretu is exhibiting her work for the first time in Ethiopia, where she was born. In Athens, “David Hammons: Give Me a Moment” at The George Economou Collection, presents rarely seen works (including his 1969 body print “The Wine Leading the Wine,” above right) and is being promoted as the first major David Hammons show in Greece and his first survey show in Europe.
The following selections provide a snapshot of some of the exhibitions on view around the world this summer featuring artists of African descent, many of them based in the United States. CT
IMAGE: Top right, DAVID HAMMONS, “The Wine Leading the Wine,” 1969 (body print). | Private collection. Photo by Bill Orcutt via White Cube Gallery
2. “ISAAC JULIEN: Playtime and Kapital” @ Museo Universitario Arte Contemporáneo, Mexico City, Mexico | July 30, 2016
3. “JULIE MEHRETU: The Addis Show” @ Modern Art Museum: Gebre Kristos Desta Center, Addis Ababa University, Addis Ababa, Ethiopia | July 8-Aug. 6, 2016
6. “Making & Unmaking: An exhibition curated by DURO OLOWU” @ Camden Arts Centre, London | June 19-Sept. 18, 2016
RAPHAEL ALBERT, “Miss Black & Beautiful Sybil McLean with fellow contestants, Hammersmith Palais, London,” 1972. From the portfolio “Black Beauty Pageants.” | Courtesy of © Raphael Albert/Autograph ABP via Autograph ABP
8. Autograph ABP presents “RAPHAEL ALBERT: Miss Black and Beautiful” @ Rivington Place, London | Jul. 8–Sep. 24, 2016
9. “The 1980s Today’s Beginnings? – Thinking Back. A montage of Black Art in Britain” @ Van Abbe Museum, Eindhoven, The Netherlands | April 16–Sept. 25, 25, 2016
10. “Made You Look: Dandyism and Black Masculinity @ The Photographer’s Gallery, London | July 15-Sept. 25, 2016
Installation view of DAVID HAMMONS” Give Me a Moment at George Economou Collection. At right, “The Wine Leading the Wine,” 1969 (body print). | Photo by Natalia Tsoukala via The Georg Economou Collection
12. “DAVID HAMMONS: Give Me a Moment” @ The George Economou Collection, Athens, Greece | June 13-Sept. 30, 2016
14. “Star of Africa: Monumental Works by El Anatsui” @ Trapholt Museum for Moderne Kunst, South Jutland, Denmark | March 17-Oct. 23, 2016.
YINKA SHONIBARE MBE, “The British Library,” | Courtesy the artist and Stephen Friedman Gallery, London, Co-commissioned by HOUSE 2014 and Brighton Festival, Photographer: Jonathan Bassett via Turner Contemporary
16. “THEASTER GATES: How to Build a House Museum” @ Art Gallery Ontario (AGO), Toronto, Canada | July 20-Oct. 30, 2016
17. “The Quiet Violence of Dreams,” a group show featuring Glenn Ligon, Zanele Muholi, Lyle Ashton Harris, among others, on view simultaneously @ Stevenson Gallery (Cape Town, Johannesburg) and blank projects (Cape Town), South Africa | July 21-Aug. 27, 2016
1,576 total views, 3 views today